While most people talk about reducing calorie intake to lose weight, it’s not always the healthiest choice. Instead, it’s more sustainable to lose weight by fueling your body with higher quality foods rather than drastically reducing your calorie intake.
Although we can’t label any food as a weight loss elixir, there are some that help maintain safe and steady weight loss. In addition to supporting your weight loss efforts, healthy foods may also reduce your risk of certain chronic diseases.
It’s time to review the foods you add to your weight loss diet, and this article can help guide you!
Essential Nutrients for Healthy Weight Loss
Protein is an essential macronutrient for fat reduction and weight loss. It is satiating and therefore helps reduce appetite. Plus, protein promotes lean muscle mass, giving you a more toned appearance.
Protein also takes more energy to digest and metabolize, which means you’ll burn more calories overall. This is due to the thermic effect (TEF) of protein, which is the highest of all macronutrients.
Fiber is incredibly filling and helps regulate your appetite and weight. Fiber-rich foods are generally less energy-dense, which means they contain fewer calories.
Additionally, consuming fiber helps you lose weight as it increases digestion and metabolism, further accelerating the rate of weight loss.
Studies show that zinc supplements can help obese people by reducing inflammation, improving insulin resistance and reducing appetite.
This is especially true for obese people, who often have low levels of zinc in their bodies. Therefore, increasing dietary zinc may be a good idea for overweight or obese people. However, knowing the right dosage is essential. Therefore, you should talk to a nutritionist to find an appropriate amount of zinc to consume.
According studies, potassium helps reduce body mass index (BMI). In addition, potassium speeds up the metabolic process, which is essential for weight loss.
Detoxifying your body is key to keeping it functioning and burning fat properly. To eliminate toxins and reduce the impact of free radicals, you need foods rich in antioxidants. Foods rich in vitamin C can help.
To research indicates an inverse relationship between vitamin C levels and body mass. In other words, the more vitamin C in your body, the less body fat you will accumulate. For example, people with sufficient levels of vitamin C oxidize 30% more fat during moderate activity than those with low levels of vitamin C.
The best foods for weight loss
Foods high in protein
Some of the best sources of protein that are naturally low in calories and saturated fat include:
- greek yogurt
- Lean chicken or turkey
If you’re struggling to get enough protein while trying to lose weight, you can also use protein powder to make shakes and smoothies, preferably after discussing your needs with a nutritionist, as all OTT powders are not beneficial to health.
High Fiber Foods
Fiber helps to better regulate food cravings. Therefore, eat fiber-rich foods to speed up weight loss. Below are some high fiber foods that one can include in a diet. Most of these foods are rich in nutrients that will help you lose weight in a healthy way.
- Brown rice
- Plain Popcorn
- green peas
Fruits and vegetables
Choosing foods rich in vitamins and minerals helps you get the nutrition you need when trying to lose weight. Plus, most vegetables are naturally low in calories. Take a look at some of these choices.
- green apples
- Brussels sprouts
The HealthifyMe rating
No single food will magically help you lose weight. However, including healthy foods in your overall weight loss plan can help. Some nutritious foods that can support your weight loss goals include eggs, green apples, celery, leafy greens, avocado, berries, nuts and seeds, oats, kombucha, sauerkraut , quinoa and chia seeds.
Weight loss guidelines from a nutritionist
- Include skimmed or low-fat milk in the diet and low-fat probiotics. Avoid butter, whipped cream, margarine and ice cream.
- Consume enough water to stay hydrated. Avoid carbonated and sugary drinks. Instead, you can consume fresh fruit smoothies, black coffee, and unsweetened tea.
- Alcohol should be limited. Avoid foods and drinks that contain empty calories.
- Avoid red meat and fatty parts of chicken. Instead, one can include fish such as tuna and salmon.
- Eat a diet that includes colorful fruits and vegetables. Every meal should consist of green leafy vegetables. This will ensure that the antioxidant needs of a calorie restricted diet are met.
- The diet should be high in fiber. It should include whole grains, sprouted grams, and unprocessed foods.
- Snack on fruit as a healthier alternative to junk food.
- The diet should be low in sugar. Avoid sweets, cakes, chocolates and condensed foods like condensed milk, honey and sugar syrups.
- Opt for cooking methods like boiling, poaching, steaming, pressure cooking, and simmering rather than frying.
- Decrease portion sizes to reduce caloric intake. You can try the plate method for better results.
Remember that calories aren’t the only factor to consider when trying to lose weight. The foods you choose are just as important. Eat foods high in lean protein, fiber, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates to supplement your exercise routine. It will help you lose weight safely and sustainably.
It should also be remembered that one diet does not fit all. Therefore, it is best to look for a personalized meal plan. HealthifyMe’s expert nutritionists and dietitians can help you plan a personalized meal plan and exercise routine to help you shed those extra pounds.