Upma is a popular breakfast preparation originating from South India. It contains fewer calories than traditional Indian breakfast dishes such as puri bhaji, paratha or dosa, making it an ideal food if you want to lose weight. A serving of upma provides approximately 150-200 calories. Semolina, the main ingredient of upma, is a good source of fiber with high satiety. Plus, upma is versatile because it contains vegetables that provide extra fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making it a more nutritious and filling meal.
Breakfast is an important meal, especially when trying to lose weight. However, choosing a healthy breakfast can be difficult. With several options available, it can be difficult to decide what to eat. And that’s where upma comes to the rescue.
Upma is one of the most available breakfast choices in all of India. Upma is also known as Uppittu. Apart from semolina, cracked wheat, ragi, rice flour, quinoa or oats can also be used to prepare upma.
Now the question is, does upma help with weight loss? Does it work? This article will help you find an answer.
Upma and weight loss: the connection
The most beneficial part of consuming upma for breakfast is that it keeps you active throughout the day. This is mainly because vegetable upma contains nutritious vegetables that are high in fiber. Additionally, iron is abundant in upma. Consuming upma is a simple approach to supplying your body with iron, a crucial mineral for health.
Upma contains fibre, vitamins and good fats. It is a nutritious dish that supports a balanced diet. Upma is a great option for a weight loss meal because it digests slowly and makes you feel full. It can be a massive help in your weight loss efforts.
Different types of Upma
Cracked Wheat Upma
This healthy and nutritious breakfast option is made from cracked wheat, which can help with weight loss for several reasons. First, it is a fiber-rich food. It contains soluble and insoluble fibers, which help regulate digestion and promote feelings of satiety.
Shalika’s incredible weight loss journey – Lost 38 kg in 12 months
Chat with us to start your health and fitness journey >> https://hlfy.me/YT_Video
Wheat upma is low in fat when prepared with minimal oil. Therefore, reducing their calorie intake and losing weight is a good option. Wheat upma is also a good source of protein. As a result, it can help build and repair muscle.
Finally, wheat upma, prepared with vegetables like carrots, peas and onions, provides essential nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Semolina, also known as suji or rava, contains an abundant amount of minerals, many of which are beneficial to us. It also helps in protein production. It helps in DNA and RNA synthesis and amino acid metabolism. Selenium, an antioxidant that protects against DNA cell oxidation, is abundant in semolina. Therefore, it reduces the risk of several diseases. In addition, semolina includes protein. Therefore, incorporating it into your diet helps you lose weight.
Nutritionists recommend upma for weight loss because, despite being high in carbohydrates, suji does not contain cholesterol, making it suitable for regular consumption. Plus, the vegetables added to upma are a great source of fiber. Accordingly, upma helps to lose weight.
Ragi is known as a miracle grain for losing pounds. Iron, calcium and dietary fiber are abundant in ragi upma. Studies show ragi is rich in fiber. As ragi contains a lot of fiber, it keeps you full and prevents you from cravings. By doing this you can lose weight.
Tryptophan, a particular class of amino acids found in ragi, aids in weight loss. You feel less hungry because tryptophan suppresses your appetite.
Oats are one of the healthiest cereals in the world. According research, oats are an excellent choice for weight loss. It stimulates satiety hormones, causing you to consume fewer calories, which may reduce your risk of obesity. For people looking to lose weight, oat upma is a great option. It is high in protein, high in soluble fiber, essential vitamins and minerals, and low in fat.
Dalia has a low calorie count, low GI, and high protein and fiber content, making it an excellent choice for weight loss. For those trying to cut down on processed grains, dalia is a fantastic option. It also fills you up for longer and is considered a great dinner option for weight loss.
Upma with quinoa
It contains carbohydrates, magnesium and proteins, which include all nine essential amino acids. Your risk of diabetes and heart disease decreases due to the fiber content of quinoa. In addition, it can reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Research suggests that the antioxidants in quinoa may protect your heart and other organs from damage. Investigations show that quinoa is a good source of dietary fibre. Its fiber keeps you full for a very long time. Therefore, it is ideal for those watching their weight.
Upma made from cracked wheat, semolina, ragi, oats, dalia and quinoa is high in fibre, low in fat and contains essential nutrients. In addition, they promote the feeling of satiety and reduce the risk of several diseases.
Upma recipes healthy and favorable to weight loss
Total duration: 15 minutes
- Semolina (sooji): ½ cup
- Ginger (finely chopped): ½ inch
- Onion (finely chopped): 1
- Green chilli (finely chopped): 1
- Black mustard seed: 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Salt: to taste
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- coriander leaves
- In a hot skillet, dry roast the suji over medium heat until light brown
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then add the ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the salt and ½ cup of water. Then bring the mixture to a boil and gradually add the sooji.
- Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the coriander leaves and serve hot.
2. Upma oats
Total duration: 20 minutes
- Oats: 1 cup
- Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Onion: 1 (chopped)
- Tomato: 1 (chopped)
- Curry leaves: 6-8
- Ginger (finely chopped): 1/2 inch
- Green chilli (finely chopped): 1
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Water (3 cups
- Lime juice: 1 teaspoon
- Mixed vegetables (beans, peas, carrots, cauliflower): 1 cup (chopped)
- Finely chopped coriander leaves: 1 tbsp
- Toast the oats dry for 2 minutes in a hot pan.
- Now remove it from the pan and place it on a dry and clean plate
- Heat the oil and add the mustard and cumin seeds.
- Then add the ginger, green chillies and curry leaves to the pan. Add the chopped vegetables and cook for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add water and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Add the toasted oats, stirring continuously.
- Cover and cook until the oats have absorbed all the liquid. This will take three to five minutes.
- Add a little lemon juice and a little finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Risks of overconsumption
You should avoid consuming semolina if you suffer from gluten intolerance or celiac disease, as it can cause bloating, constipation, or other unpleasant side effects. Likewise, it should not be consumed if one is aware of the allergic reactions it causes, as it could cause several health problems.
Foods to pair with Upma to make it healthier
- A creamy and flavorful chutney made with coconut, green chillies, ginger and other spices. It pairs well with upma and adds healthy fats to the meal.
- Sambar is a popular vegetable and lentil stew that is high in protein and fiber. Pair it with Upma to add texture and nutrition to the meal.
- Pair it with Raita. Raita is a refreshing yogurt-based side dish, and you can make it with cucumbers, onions, and spices. Adding protein and probiotics to your healthy plate is a great way. Also, it is ideal in summer because the coolness of the raita balances the heat of the upma.
- A simple and refreshing salad made with chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumber, salt, pepper and lemon adds crunch and freshness to the meal. In addition, a salad is a mine of vitamins and minerals.
- You can roast vegetables like carrots, zucchini, peppers and eggplant in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. Plus, it’s a great way to break up the monotony and add a fusion twist to an ordinary staple. The roasted vegetables add a bit of sweetness and smoke to the flavors of the upma.
You can add healthy and tasty food options to pair with upma. These options include coconut chutney, sambar, raita, salad, and roasted vegetables. Adding these dishes to upma can add texture, nutrition, and variety to the meal.
Upma digests gradually and makes you feel full. So if you like a snacky dinner, upma is a fantastic choice. Plus, your weight loss efforts can benefit significantly. Combine upma with curd and salad, and you have an innovative dinner combination.
The last word
Upma can be a great addition to a weight loss diet for several reasons. It contains semolina, which is a whole grain high in fiber and protein. They keep you full for long periods of time, reducing your overall calorie intake. Some upma formulas contain vegetables such as onions, tomatoes and peas, which provide essential vitamins and minerals. Finally, you can prepare upma with wheat, oats and quinoa, allowing you to include it regularly in your diet. However, it is crucial to remember that portion control is vital for weight loss. Therefore, pay attention to your portion sizes when consuming upma.
Disclaimer: The purpose of this article is just to spread knowledge and raise awareness. It is not intended to replace professional medical advice. For more information, please contact our certified nutritionists Here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What is upma?
A. Upma is most popular Indian breakfast in Kerala, Telangana, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra. It is a thick porridge made from dry-roasted semolina. However, depending on individual preferences, oats, wheat, quinoa and several other ingredients are used to make the upma of one’s choice.
Q. Is Upma good for weight loss?
A.Upma is a great choice for weight loss because it digests slowly and helps you feel full. It is a nutrient-dense food that contains vitamins and minerals.
Q. How many calories are in a serving of upma?
A. Upma is a great breakfast option. It contains only 86 calories per 100 grams. A serving of upma provides 185 calories.
Q. What are the health benefits of upma?
A. Upma is a nutritious option for all age groups as it contains protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, zinc, phosphorus and iron. Upma keeps you full for a long time. Additionally, the nutrients in upma maintain and improve the condition of your kidneys, heart, bones and immune system.
Q. Can Upma be part of a healthy weight loss diet?
A. Yes, eating upma helps you lose weight. You can also choose healthy options like ragi, quinoa, dalia or upma oats. It has a delicious flavor, is low in calories and gives you energy. It is suitable for all age groups.
Q. What are some healthy ways to prepare upma?
A. You can do upma in several ways. Using less oil and adding more vegetables makes us healthier. Oats, rava, ragi, and quinoa are popular ingredients for healthier versions of upma. Plus, you can pack more nutrients if you top it with nuts and seeds.
Q. Are there any downsides to eating upma for weight loss?
A. Upma is an excellent choice for weight watchers. It is tasty, low in calories and provides energy. Eating upma has no adverse consequences. However, portion control should be monitored for weight loss.
Q. Is Upma a good breakfast option for weight loss?
A. Definitely, upma is one of the healthiest options for breakfast. Your breakfast option for weight loss may be upma. Upma contains fibre, vitamins and good fats. Semolina is used to make upma, and it is rich in iron. It is a nutritious dish that supports a balanced diet.
Q. How often can I eat upma while trying to lose weight?
A. Upma is healthy and delicious. You can eat it every morning for breakfast. Upma is usually a breakfast preparation. However, you can also serve it as a small meal or snack. You can also have upma for dinner. However, limit the portion if you are trying to reduce your carbohydrate intake.
Q. What are other healthy breakfast options for weight loss besides upma?
A. Other delicious breakfast options for weight loss include beetroot dosa, vegetable dalia, chili besan with green chutney, vegetable poha, paneer bhurji, egg bhurji, flour oats and oat poha.
1. Shobana S, Krishnaswamy K, Sudha V, Malleshi NG, Anjana RM, Palaniappan L, Mohan V. Millet (Ragi, Eleusine coracana L.): a review of its nutritional properties, processing and plausible health benefits health. Adv Food Nutri Res. 2013;69:1-39. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-410540-9.00001-6. PMID: 23522794.
2. Li X, Cai X, Ma X, Jing L, Gu J, Bao L, Li J, Xu M, Zhang Z, Li Y. Short-term and long-term effects of wholegrain oat consumption on the management of weight and glucolipid metabolism in overweight type 2 diabetics: a randomized controlled trial. Nutrients. 2016 Sep 7;8(9):549. doi: 10.3390/nu8090549. PMID: 27618090; PMCID: PMC5037534.
3. Angeli V, Miguel Silva P, Crispim Massuela D, Khan MW, Hamar A, Khajehei F, Graeff-Hönninger S, Piatti C. Quinoa (goosefoot quinoa Willd.): An overview of the potentials of “Golden Grain” and the socio-economic and environmental aspects of its cultivation and marketing. Food. 2020 Feb 19;9(2):216. DOI: 10.3390/food9020216. PMID: 32092899; PMCID: PMC7074363.
4. Repo-Carrasco-Valencia, Ritva & Serna, Lesli. (2011). Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa, Willd.) is a source of dietary fiber and other functional components. Food Science and Technology (Campinas). 31. 225-230. 10.1590/S0101-20612011000100035.