Whichever team you want to win on Sunday, one thing is for sure, you’ll be snacking on some of your favorite Super Bowl Sunday recipes and snacks. Except for this year, when the game is over, you won’t feel bloated and lazy thanks to the Scottsdale, Arizona-based chef. Dom Ruggierofounder and CEO of Cast iron designsa Scottsdale-based hotel group that is the parent company of three restaurants: Hush Public House, TVG Tap Room and Fire at Will.
Ruggiero, a maritime aviation operations specialist, studied at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute. He worked as a chef in New York for several years before returning to his hometown in 2019 and opening his first restaurant.
To help burn off some of the calories he consumes while creating new food ideas in his kitchen, Ruggiero, who is expecting their first child with his wife Holly, is an avid weightlifter and trains in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
Here, Ruggiero shares some of his top tips on how to successfully bake treats without missing a second of play or an ounce of flavor!
Super Bowl Sunday Recipe Swaps
Keep the flavor but cut the calories by making simple but tasty swaps. “The best way I’ve found to make Super Bowl dishes healthier is to keep the traditional dishes, but use alternative ingredients whenever possible,” says Ruggiero. For example, substitute mayonnaise recipes for Greek yogurt or higher fat meats for leaner proteins like chicken or turkey for beef or pork.
Ruggiero suggests these healthy ingredient swapping ideas:
- Replace mayonnaise or sour cream with Greek yogurt
- Replace ketchup with salsa for a clean sauce
- Replace ranch dip with hummus
- Swap vegetable oil for olive oil
- Replace club soda with lemon seltzer water
- Replace fatty meats with lean proteins
Prepare hard, play hard
Like everyone else, Ruggiero wants to watch the game and enjoy the party. “I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen while everyone’s having fun,” the Super Bowl chef says. So he always creates his menu so that it is easily made ahead and/or can be kept warm without compromising flavor or texture. “Crock pots and pellet smokers are great for this,” he says.
Disposable aluminum containers for the win!
When it comes to game day prep, Ruggiero likes to serve all of its Super Bowl Sunday recipe dishes in disposable foil pans. “Towards the end of the party, I’ll put out take-out containers for my guests to take food home — it makes cleanup easier,” he says.
Not only does it make cleaning up easier, but your friends can enjoy their game day meals the next day and you’re not stuck with more food than you can handle.
Chef Dom Ruggiero’s Super Bowl Sunday Recipes
French Onion Dip Recipe
This homemade French Onion Dip recipe is one of Ruggiero’s wife’s favorite dishes! “This recipe is an example of how you can replace Greek yogurt with mayo and extra virgin olive oil with butter,” says hje. It’s great served with fries or fresh cut vegetables for an even healthier option.
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 large shallots
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small diced Onions and Shallots. Heat the oil in a sauté pan and sauté the onions until nicely caramelized, usually about 30 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, add cream cheese and Greek yogurt and whisk until smooth. Add onion mixture and freshly cut chives and whisk until fully incorporated.
BBQ Chicken Lettuce Cups Recipe
Another fan favorite is these BBQ Chicken Lettuce Cups. Chef Ruggiero serves them with grilled corn, shavings of radish, cheddar cheese and green onions, “But you can customize them however you like with your favorite ingredients.” He says. Keep in mind: “This recipe uses the slow cooker with your favorite barbecue sauce, but you can also use your smoker to add smoky flavor.” Recommend Chef Ruggiero.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4#)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 hours or until the chicken is easily shredded with a fork.
- Hold low until you’re ready to build your lettuce cups.
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 1 watermelon radish (thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 2 ears of grilled corn (cut off the cobb)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- To build the lettuce cups, place a piece of lettuce and scoop up a few ounces of shredded chicken and place it in the center.
- Garnish with the rest of the ingredients according to your taste.